Is It Necessary to Extract a Cracked Tooth?

If your tooth has a crack, do you need to have it extracted? It depends on the nature and extent of the damage. Nevertheless, if some of your teeth are severely cracked that they need to be removed, the good news is you can replace them with dental implants Orange Park FL. When you have a crack in your tooth or if it got fractured due to decay or facial trauma, you should let your dentist assess it so they can determine what’s the best course of action.  

cracked tooth to be removed and needing Dental Implants in Orange Park FL

Should a Cracked Tooth Be Extracted?  

When the crack has reached the pulp, it can easily be treated with root canal therapy and covered with a crown to prevent the crack from worsening. But, if the crack has extended beyond the gum line and cannot be treated with a root canal, your dentist will have no choice but to have it extracted.  

How Do You Know if You Have a Cracked Tooth?

When a cracked tooth goes unnoticed, it can cause dangerous complications. It’s important to be familiar with some of the symptoms of a cracked tooth, such as pain when you chew and sudden acute pain when your tooth gets exposed to cold or hot temperatures.  

The pain usually comes and goes. If you experience these symptoms, let your dentist know immediately. There is a better chance of a positive outcome if it is treated early. 

Can a Cracked Tooth Heal on Its Own?

The difference between a broken bone and a broken tooth is that a bone heals, but a cracked tooth does not. If a crack is not treated, it will continue progressing and spreading, resulting in tooth loss 

woman experiencing tooth pain may need Dental Implants in Orange Park FL

Inquire About Dental Implants in Orange Park, FL  

If you lost your teeth due to an untreated crack, you might want to replace them with dental implants. At Fleming Island Dental, we strive to provide you with a wide range of dental services to help improve your oral health. Contact us to book a consultation. 

to Request An appointment, call (904) 747-1250